Smart TVs have made home entertainment even better, but you’ll need to update their software from time to time. If you’re having issues with your JVC smart TV, an update may help you to fix them. It may also provide you with handy new features, as well as important security updates.
In this article, we provide a full guide on how to update a JVC smart TV. This includes how to identify your TV’s operating system if you’re not sure, and full instructions for updating its software.
If you know which operating system your TV uses, you can jump to your relevant section here:
- Update an Android JVC TV
- Update a Roku JVC TV
- Update an older JVC TV
Why update your smart TV?
There are two common reasons for updating your smart TV: to fix problems you’re having or to get the latest features.
Smart TVs are awesome, but because they’re essentially computers, they suffer from the same bugs and issues that every computer does. You may find your apps not loading correctly, crashing, or acting in strange ways, which can be very frustrating.
If this happens, a software update may solve the issue. But before you go through that process, we recommend trying a soft reset of your TV instead.
To complete a soft reset on your TV, simply unplug it, wait for a minute, and then plug it back in. If your problem persists, updating the software (or “firmware”) may fix it.
Get the latest features
Of course, updating your TV isn’t always about solving issues. Updates can include:
- Useful new apps or features
- Faster navigation
- Better energy efficiency
- Important security fixes to prevent your TV from getting hacked
- Key firmware updates
It’s always a good idea to keep your television’s software up-to-date, especially for security reasons. The last thing you want is someone hacking into your TV and stealing your personal data!
How to update a JVC smart TV
A television is called “smart” because it has an operating system installed that connects to the internet. This allows it to run useful apps like Netflix, YouTube, and other popular streaming services.
JVC has experimented with a few operating systems for their smart TVs, which makes updating the television different for each one.
Which operating system does my JVC smart TV use?
JVC smart TVS have three different operating systems:
- JVC (older TVs)
To identify which operating system your JVC TV uses, just turn on your television and go to the home screen. If it looks like the image below, it’s an Android operating system:
Android TV operating system. Image from Android
If your home screen has the word “Roku” in the top left and looks like the below, it’s a Roku operating system.
Roku TV operating system. Image from Cord Cutters News
If your home screen doesn’t look like either of these, it’s likely an older JVC television that uses its own operating system.
How to update Android on your JVC smart TV
Here’s how to update your JVC smart TV for Android operating systems:
1. Click on the “Home” button on your remote to take you to the home screen
2. Scroll across to the “Settings” button on the top right of the screen (shown below), and click:
3. Scroll down to the “About” button in the right-hand menu (shown below), and click:
4. Click on “System software update” (shown below):
5. Click on “Software update” (shown below):
6. Scroll down to “Update TV software,” and click:
7. The software will start downloading. Depending on how fast your internet connection is, this can take a while. So you might want to grab yourself a coffee!
8. Once done, you’ll see a screen that says the latest software has been downloaded. Click the close button:
9. When the “install the latest software now” section appears, click “Install now”
10. Next, you’ll see a black screen that says updating. Wait for this process to finish, and you’re all done. The TV may turn itself off once finished, so you’ll just need to turn it back on again.
How to update Roku on your JVC smart TV
Here’s how to update your JVC smart TV for Roku operating systems:
- Click the home button on your remote
- Scroll down to the “Settings” button and click
- Scroll to the “System” button and click
- Scroll to the “System update” button and click
- Click on “Check now” to check whether an update is available for your TV. If there is, you will see an “Update now” button. Click on this to update your television.
Once done, your television will take a few minutes to update, including a full restart.
How to update other/older JVC smart TVs
If your television doesn’t have an Android or Roku operating system and uses the original JVC system instead, here’s how to update it:
- Go to the home screen on your TV.
- Scroll to the “System” button and click.
- Scroll to the “Settings” button, then scroll down to the “More” button and click.
- Click “Software Upgrade.”
- Scroll to “Scan for Upgrade” to check if an update is available.
- If an update is available, you’ll see an “Upgrade” button. Click on it to start the update process.
What is a JVC firmware update? Do I need to do this too?
Firmware is a type of software that allows the television’s components to work properly. Years ago, many hardware devices like televisions, digital cameras, and other devices needed to have their firmware manually updated by the user. But today, firmware updates are usually included as part of software updates, and this is the case for your JVC TV too.
When you go through the update process for your operating system, the TV will update both the software and the firmware (if a firmware update is available). So there’s no need to manually download the firmware and figure out a complicated installation process.
How to update a JVC smart TV—summary
That’s it—you now know how to update a JVC smart TV for your type of operating system, whether Android, Roku, or JVC’s own system. We hope you found this article helpful, and if you’d like to get some professional help with setting up a home theatre, give us a call!